According to the Chew Valley Ringing Station website “The first recorded bird ringing at Chew Valley Lake took place on the 4th June 1961 when Ray Thearle trapped eight Reed Warblers and one Reed Bunting. In 1961 he made 14 further trips. The success of these trials indicated its potential as a ringing station. Ringing has occurred in every year since.’
The Ringing Scheme in Britain was 'hatched' in 1909, though actually originated as two schemes: one run by British Birds and one at Aberdeen University. A third scheme, organised by Country Life magazine also started at this time, but the rings were not uniquely numbered. The Aberdeen Scheme ended during the First World War, and in the 1930s, following the founding of the BTO (British Trust of Ornithology), the British Birds scheme was transferred to its current home.